Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 18:49:34 -0700
From:      "Ian Cartwright" <ian351c@home.com>
To:        "Brooks Davis" <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Netgear MA401 and WEP

Eureka!

While searching the FAQs on Netgear's website I came across this Knowlege
Base article:
http://www.netgear-support.com/ts/pwtkbgetsolution.cfm?&id=N01910&kbase=Supp
ort&incident=. It mentions that the default configuration for authentication
on the MA401 is shared key, and that Cisco access points use open key as
their default. The article also says that the MA401 cannot be configured to
use open keys via software.  I wondered how my Netgear ME102 access point
was configured, and sure enough, it was configured for shared keys. On a
hunch, I decided to change the ME102 to "Both" for authentication. Behold! A
successful connection in FreeBSD! I am assuming that this means that even
though the "software" doesn't support it, the card is indeed configurable
for shared or open keys, and that open key is the default for FreeBSD.

So, until the FreeBSD driver (or ifconfig or wicontrol, etc.) supports it, I
guess the order of the day is to make sure your access point is configurable
for open key authentication.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out here in the forum...

Cheers,

Ian