Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:04:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
To:        Xin LI <delphij@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS - scrub lead to corruption?

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Xin LI wrote:

>> 16) scrub continues to over 75% (I wasn't watching for the exact #)
>> and then *panic* level 12
>
> Do you have console access to the server?  Try setting up a crash dump
> and see if you can obtain a backtrace?
>
> By the way, 'zpool status -x' may give some information that is useful.

Since scrub automatically re-starts after system reboots, it should
help to use 'zpool scrub -s pool' immediately after boot (assuming
there is enough time to do a console login) to stop the existing
scrub.  This may defer the panic enough to figure out what is going
wrong.

I used to get system panics here (Solaris 10) during scrub, but it was
eventually determined that a flaky fiber channel card was to blame.
Two systems paniced here during 'zfs scrub' and both times it was due
to problems with an adaptor card.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn