Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 2014 14:33:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      Tommy Scheunemann <net@arrishq.net>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-pf@freebsd.org" <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Swap Issue

Hi,

was running into a similar issue after an upgrade from 9.1-RELEASE to 10.0
and the system was swapping out for no obvious reason (enough free memory,
same software installed etc.).
Maybe using Monit or a similar monitoring tool helps here - I used Monit.
Basically let it keep an eye (or two) on swap usage and once the system
freaks out swapping dumping the process table.
A monit job like:

check system knockmobile
  if swap usage > 10% then exec "/some/thing/some/where/dump_processes.sh"

should help to find what the problem might be. Additionally SNMP and
graphing in Cricket / Cacti might help to collect the number of processes
and general memory usage to see if the system has some strange load
problems.

Kind regards