Date:      Wed, 18 May 2011 12:24:25 +0200
From:      Bernt Hansson <bernt@bah.homeip.net>
To:        Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Buildworld Benchmarks

2011-05-18 02:50, Devin Teske:
> Hi List,
>
> What's the fastest anyone has every completed buildworld on a single machine?

No idea.

> The reason I ask is because we just got some new hardware in and decided to
> benchmark it using buildworld.

Nice!

> Just as a quick test, we decided to perform "make -j 48 buildworld". We finished
> in approximately 9 minutes.

For me on the desktopsystem 33 min with make -j 24 buildworld

Half an hour is half the lunchbreak.

FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #0
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor (3013.63-MHz K8-class CPU)
Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x100f62  Family = 10  Model = 6  Stepping = 2

real memory  = 17179869184 (16384 MB)
avail memory = 16530083840 (15764 MB)

FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s)

> I think that we can improve upon that, but am having a bit of difficulty.
>
> Can anyone offer any pointers in how to achieve the fastest buildworld possible?
> No particular reason... we're just trying to push the boundaries of what's
> possible.

Check the handbook, single user comes to mind.