Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:17:37 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp://freebsd.org - RIP

Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> [Cc: changed to -ports]
>
> Do you mean patches to existing ports?

I mean all ports new or fixed.  Yes there are logs for the
mailing lists but the bug report log (GNATS) is where the bug
fixes and new features should reside.

> Asami has been in the past an outspoken fan of unified diffs.
> The handbook states (I believe) to use context diffs whenever
> sending patches to FreeBSD, except when upgrading ports, where
> unidiffs should be used.

Probably because he is responsible for the ports tree and prefers
unified diffs? :)

> <shrug>  A diff is a diff.  I like the uni-diffs, but if someone
> submits something in a context diff, I'm not going to complain.

I agree.  I won't throw a diff away even if I have to spend extra
time fixing snarf-n-barf.  My point is that if the majority of
committers prefer one over the other we should encourage the
preferred method (style(9) is one such practice).  On the same
token we should be thankful (and I know we are) that we get fixes,
bug reports, etc. and shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

> I also prefer a shar archive to a tarball.  They can be quickly
> read from the -bugs list, and some people are somehow managing to
> screw-up included uu files.  I'd prefer to see our major ports
> committers (vanilla, jseger, etc.) say what they prefer, since
> they handle the majority of ports.

I like shar archives too, but them not being compressed causes
bandwidth problems, IMO.  Don't get me wrong I prefer clear text
solutions to the gunk that gzip produces, but I don't want to have
to CVSup 1MB of new problem reports a day because we encourage
people to _only_ send uncompressed diffs/ports/archives to GNATS.

Steve