Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:13:42 -0500
From:      Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPAQ success report

I've finally gotten 4.7-Rel to behave on the iPaq IA1.  Turns out that
neither 4.x or 5.x like to have swap on a umass driven hard drive.  Even
light swapping will result in swap in and swap out errors till init
tanks taking the box down.  If you instead create a file on the drive,
and use vn (md on 5.x) to create a file backed virtual drive, it'll swap
just fine to that.

5.0RC1, RC2, and a current build from Jan 9th 2003 all fail miserably
under stress with kmem_map failures.  Given I've only 28MB of ram and
the kernel itself wires down 7.5MB I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Attempting to compile a kernel is enough to trip it every time.  Doing a
generic kernel it pops when it tries to compile cam

More news as I make further progress.

Joshua Coombs