Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 13:25:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba setup help required

#ifdef DUMBASS_ATTACK

John Brann wrote...

> Hi,
>
> (Please note I am also posting this to comp.protocols.smb)
>
> I have 2 PC's...

	et cetera

> I'm stumped.  I've tried a number of variations on the commands above,
> with the same results each time.  Sorry to be so long-winded, but I've tried
> to give a fairly full picture of my problem.
>
> TIA
>
> John
#endif

Er, I'm embarrassed to say I found the examples.

I now have a disk share working OK, though it requires some command-line
arm-twisting for nmbd to believe that it's on the ethernet (with bogus IP
addresses) as opposed to the PPP link.

I do still have the following message appearing in the log.nmb file:

 Failed to find a master browser for FREEBIE using 10.255.255.255

'FREEBIE' is the LAN Manager domain (and workgroup) name. the 10.*.*.*
network is my bogus ethernet.  The result is that when my Win95 PC attempts
to log on there is a pause followed by a warning that I may not be able to
access some network resources.  Despite (?) this, my password is checked
properly.

How do I convince nmbd that it IS the master browser?

John

--
 Difficult conversations with great figures of history:
 3. Winston Churchill: