Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:23:41 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        Benjamin Adams <freebsdworld@gmail.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creating your own livecd iso

--I4VOKWutKNZEOIPu

Dan Langille wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2007 at 10:28, Benjamin Adams wrote:
>=20
> > Anyone know where I can read about creating my own BSD livecd?
> > I have a laptop partition that is about 1G that I want to turn into a
> > LiveDVD.  It has some networking tools for testing and debugging.  I wo=
uld
> > rather have just a dvd to boot from rather then carring around my lapto=
p.
>=20
> I recommend FreeSBIE.  http://www.freesbie.org/
>=20
> --=20
> Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
> Available for hire: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php
>=20

With the recent changes to /boot/cdboot FreeSBIE is almost irrevelent.
I just got done stripping it out of a project for work, it's build
process is complicated and overkill for a lot of projects.

You can create a perfectly usable live-cd by doing:

make installkernel installworld distribution DESTDIR=3D/some/dir
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/screen && make install DESTDIR=3D/some/dir
=2E..
=2E..
=2E..
cd /some/dir
mkisofs -b boot/cdboot -no-emul-boot -R -U -V Uberl33t -p Uberl33t \
    -o /usr/wherever/Uberl33t.iso .

--=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel