Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2017 13:59:48 -0500
From:      John Lyon <johnllyon@gmail.com>
To:        Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
Cc:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need Netgraph Help

Harry and Eugene (and others),

I appreciate all of your help.  It's been really insightful.  Although I
feel like I'm getting much closer to the solution, I don't think my problem
has been diagnosed.  I've outlined my thought process below.  Can you
please tell me if I am misunderstanding something?  Admittedly, I am not a
kernel developer and my C language skills have atrophied the last few
years.  However, I've reviewed my script and I looked in the code for
ng_etf.c and I don't think I am violating any of the requirements for
linking a hook for no match.

As Eugene stated:

>>1) referenced "matchook" exists and you should not use "indirect name"
here,
>>only hook own name, or else you get error ENOENT (No such file or
directory);

This does not seem to be a problem as the upper and lower hooks for the em1
already exist (I can confirm this).

>>2) referenced "matchook" is *not* downstream hook, or else you get error
>>EINVAL (Invalid argument);

I read the ng_etf.c file in the source tree and found this little snippet:

/* and is not the downstream hook */
if (hook =3D=3D etfp->downstream_hook.hook) {
    error =3D EINVAL;
    break;
}

This appears to be an error check to make sure you are not creating a cycle
in the graph by referencing the ETF node's own downstream hook (i.e.
filtering incoming traffic and circularly feeding non-matching frames back
into the ETF's own filter).  I'm not doing this.  I am feeding non-matching
packets into the *lower* hook of another ether node and not back into the
*downstream* hook of the etf node I am creating.  As a result, my netgraph
should not be triggering this error condition.

>>3) it was not already configured, or else you get error EEXIST (File
exists).

I am not getting this error, so it appears not to be an issue in my case.

What am I missing here?  The man page states that "*any other *hook" can be
used for the non-matching packets.  So the man page says this should work,
and there's no explicit error condition that I see (caveat, I have not
written in C for at least 10 years  - PEBKAC is entirely possible) that
would be triggered in the ng_etf code.  So what is going wrong?

Thanks for all of your help, patience, and understanding.

John L. Lyon
PGP Key Available At:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/skmedtscs0tgex7/02150BFE.asc

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
wrote:

> Bez=C3=BCglich Eugene Grosbein's Nachricht vom 14.12.2017 23:07 (localtim=
e):

> and I

AN