Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:55:03 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
To:        Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: authors.ent policy?

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 11:12:10PM +0200, Christian Brueffer wrote:
> About ten people have departed from the project and I wonder if they should
> be removed from the file, since a nonexistant email address is displayed, when
> these entities are used (if they're used at all).

  That's not really necessary.  Being in authors.ent doesn't have
anything to do with being an active committer or anything.  It is
simply a file that makes it easier to reference peoples names in the
documentation; whether they are an active committer, a contributor, or
someone who vanished from the face of the earth years ago.  Removing
the entity and adding that person's name into the documentation in all
of the N places it exists is a very bad idea.  Please do not do this.

  If there are entities in that file that aren't referenced at all in
the documentation, then maybe there is a case for removing them.  But
you have to ask yourself what you are accomplishing.  This doesn't
improve the documentation one bit, and there are much more important
things to work on, such as writing new articles, FAQ entries, or
Handbook sections! ;)

   - Murray