Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:00:36 -0800
From:      Jonathan Hilgeman <JHilgeman@ecx.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Name Server Behind Router

Please humor me on this one.

1 - I have a DSL line coming into my home, with one IP address, let's call
it 4.43.123.213.

2 - The modem runs to a router, which then branches off to several
computers.

3 - One of them is a FreeBSD 4.4 server (a new, clean install) with
named/BIND installed, but not configured nor running. The server's IP behind
the router is 10.0.0.102.

4 - I want to be able to use that server as a name server. However, I have
tried a few different things and I cannot seem to get it configured and
running correctly.

5 - My /etc/rc.conf file has a line that says: ifconfig_fxp0="inet
10.0.0.102 netmask 255.255.255.0"

Can someone offer general tips or even specific tips if you can, to how I
should set this all up. i.e. Should I use DHCP to assign IP addresses via
the router or not? What about the IP addresses? How does the name server get
recognized by the outside world? What should my rc.conf files look like? I'm
currently reading through O' Reilly's book on DNS and BIND, but I'd like
some interactive feedback as well. Thanks in advance!

- Jonathan