Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 16:50:34 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Todd Ross <brainlist@brainsick.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: two quick questions (man pages and tcsh)

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 08:41:11AM -0500, Todd Ross wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I have two (what I hope are) quick questions.
>
> 1) Why does tcsh store its config files in two places (/.cshrc and
> /etc/csh.cshrc).  From my brief testing, it looks like one is used for root
> and the other is used for all of the other accounts in the system.  I'm just
> wondering the reasoning behind it.  I'd guess it has something to do with
> when you boot into single user mode?

/etc/csh.cshrc can be used by root to provide defaults for all users using
tcsh.

~/.cshrc is for a user's own stuff and can override or set additional options
that don't apply to all users.

For instance, my account and my root account use different CVSROOT variables
to other accounts on the machine, so ~setantae/.cshrc and /.cshrc have a
different value for CVSROOT than /etc/csh.cshrc does.

Your second question has already been answered.

Ceri

--
get the cool shoe shine