Date:      Thu, 09 Aug 2007 02:51:59 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache13+ssl on 64bit system on amd64

> > This used to work under 32 bit kernel+userland on the same
> > machine.  After I switched to a 64 bit kernel+userland, I
> > used original 32 httpsd until now.  Today I decided to
> > compile it for 64 bit and now it dies with:
> >
> > # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh start
> > Syntax error on line 208 of /usr/local/etc/apache/httpsd.conf:
> > Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_mmap_static.so into server: /usr/
> loc
> > al/libexec/apache/mod_mmap_static.so: Undefined symbol "ap_null_cleanup"
> >
> > And yet apache13 works fine.  Has anyone else seen this?  Any workaround?
>
> Yes, Please rebuild all apache modules, as the module ABI is diffrent.

Thanks for your suggestion however I am not using anything
other than what is in apache13+ssl.  There are no other
modules and all of apache13+ssl gets built from scratch.

I finally had a chance to look into this and it appears that
just like www/apache13, the www/apach13-ssl port needs to use
-Wl,-E flag for link stage of httpsd (-Wl tells cc to pass
the following flags to ld.  -E tells ld to export symbols
from the executable so that shared libs can reference these
symbols).  See apache13/files/patch-ae.  So this is a gcc4.x
problem not a 64bit system related problem.

Probably all of apache13 patches need to be reviewed and if
necessary applied to the related apache13?* ports.