Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:36:33 -0400
From:      Jud <judmarc@earthlink.net>
To:        Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems setting up dual-boot

On 26 Apr 2003 11:06:15 -0400, Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net> wrote:

[snip]
>> BTW, what do you mean by 1024mb swap partition "before" root?  Is swap
>> or / on the "a" partition of your FreeBSD slice?  FreeBSD expects to see
>> / in the "a" partition, so change that if it's currently otherwise.
>
> Well, I have /dev/ad3s1b set as the swap, then /dev/ad3s2a mounted as /.
> From some of the reports I've been reading, / should have been mounted
> on the first slice. Am I wrong?

I'm not an expert, but I don't think the location of swap should be a
problem so long as it isn't on an "a" partition and / *is* on an "a"
partition.

>> - If you don't care about your Windows partition being called '???',
>> install the FreeBSD bootloader on both hard drives and you're ready to
>> go.
>
> I actually tried this, in 2 ways.
> First, I tried using '/stand/sysinstall' to add the boot manager to hd0
> (Win2k disk). This didn't have any effect at all.
>
> Second, I used the following command (IIRC): boot0cfg -B ad0
> This did add a boot menu when starting on hd0, but the second option was
> just 'drive 1' and selecting that option just caused the machine to
> reboot. The ??? option loads Win2k properly (well, as properly as
> Windows could ever load, but that's a whole other story).

*Both* disks must have the bootloader installed.  So if ad0 is the Win disk
and ad3 is the FreeBSD disk, you must install the bootloader on both,
whether you want to do so using sysinstall or boot0cfg.

>> - Install FreeBSD, reboot into it, then install grub from
>> /usr/ports/sysutils/grub.  (First, read the online grub documentation
>> *thoroughly*.)
>
> This is going to be my next attempt. Hopefully grub will be able to set
> up the dual boot properly.

Should be no problem, unless RAID is involved.

>> - If you have some spare room (could be as little as 105mb) on your Win
>> drive, use BootItNG, a shareware (30-day trial) utility with a nice easy
>> graphical interface, to shrink your Win partition(s) by enough to put
>> your / partition on the Win drive, leaving the rest of your FreeBSD
>> partitions on the other drive.  (I like to make root about 256mb, though
>> that's strictly seat-of-the-pants - don't know if a / of more than 100mb
>> serves any purpose.)  Then just do the boot1=boot.bsd thing, and since
>> your Win and FreeBSD boot partitions are both on the same drive, it'll
>> work.
>
> I do have room on the drive, but I'm a little leery of apps like this
> one. I don't trust anything related to Windows to work properly. Have
> you actually used this tool in practice? Does it work without problems?

You don't need to use BootItNG to make room if you have room already.

Re BootItNG, yes, I've used it as my partition manager and bootloader for
over a year through several system reconfigurations.  Currently I use it to
boot Win98, Gentoo Linux, Win2K and FreeBSD-current from 3 hard drives, two
of which are set up as a RAID-0 array.  It is less expensive than Partition
Magic, and I like it better.  It has never failed to work correctly and has
never lost any data.  For 3 of the 4 operating systems (all except Linux),
it configures a boot menu automagically.  More info:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com

Jud