Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:48:33 +1100
From:      Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gpart, bsdlabel and fdisk

On 22/10/09 4:54 AM, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

>> * is this the future for FreeBSD and we should use gpart from here
>> on? Are the old tools deprecated?
>
> Yes.

But the 8.0 sysinstall still uses fdisk and bsdlabel?

>> * is the result of using gpart completely different to the
>> bsdlabel/fdisk we've known? Are the partitions on disk quite different?
>
> The on-disk layout is dictated and cannot be different. As such,
> they are the same.

But some things look different. For example, old style labels were always of the style ad4s1b. But now the labels appear to be more flexible. Should we be using old style labels for compatibility with old tools, or does everything work with the new labelling options?

>> * is there some source of good documentation out there other than
>> the man page for gpart?
>
> man gpart.

Hmmm...  I was hoping for something more useful than that response. Where is it documented that I have to do "echo 'a 1' | fdisk -f - /dev/ad4" to make a disk bootable?

Is there a work-in-progress handbook page somewhere that describes the overall process of setting up disks with the new tools?

Ari Maniatis

--

ish