Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:12:09 -0400
From:      "Thomas Laus" <lausts@acm.org>
To:        Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9-Stable + Atom D510 Freeze

> Tom,
> I have had multiple D510's and now D525's that are part of my test
> systems, all are 4GB machines and all run the latest (ie 2 days old) 9.X
> Stable.  They're faultless.  I have a D510 in production serving 30
> users - yes its a 1G system running, sendmail, squid, samba as PDC.
> It's been in place for at least 7 months and runs without any hiccups.
>
> Though I would point out that the Atom processor does NOT do out of
> order processing, so a VIA motherboard that is of lower GHz builds
> worlds/ports in less time that a supposedly faster Atom.
>
> Your question re HT, yes HT introduces some additional latency, but is
> unlikely to be the problem.

Thanks for the information about the HT CPU's.  I asked the question to the
group because I did not know if they were functionally any different than a
traditional CPU.  I successfully built my problem port, Tshark, yesterday
while monitoring 'top' on another console.  I observed that all 4 cpu's were
in service for the build and at times were running at 100 percent each.  The
State column on all 4 occasionally showed a 'pfault' on all 4 but recovered
and the build continued to successful completion.

> When I experience something like spurious reboots and it is definately
> not hardware, then I delete /usr/src and /usr/ports and perform a
> complete rebuild.  (Yes seriously, and on the Atom's we're talking days,
> aren't we :)  )

I have been using this Atom D510 since it was released about 3 years ago.  It
ran on FreeBSD 8-Stable until about a month ago.  I installed an Intel 520
SSD and loaded a fresh copy of a FreeBSD 9 Snapshot.  After getting the
source and ports tarballs, I used svnup to bring both up to date.  I built
and installed world and the kernel to bring me up to Stable.  I rebuilt all
of my ports using Portmaster.

The spurious reboot issue existed for the last 3 years when running FreeBSD-8
Stable.  I never had the problem building world or kernel.  It only occurred
when building some ports.  Subversion and Tshark more often than others.
FreeBSD 9-Stable was frozen when I tried to build tshark, but I was able to
build it OK yesterday.  Everything hardware related other than the Atom
microprocessor and the Intel motherboard itself is new.  The OS is now a
different version and all of the source was rebuilt monthly.  The ports have
been been built many times in the last 3 years.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1