Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 07:45:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Satoshi - the Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var/db/pkg/.mkversion

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Satoshi - the Wraith - Asami wrote:

>  * From: Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>

>  * very short sided.
>               sighted :>

Yes, a slight transfer error between my brain and 'sendmail'.

>  * There are two distinct environments to be considered.
>  * The HOST environment and the TARGET environment.

> This issue has nothing to do with hosts and targets.  The ports tree
> has never supported building ports on a system with a version other
> than the one that is going to run it.  (And we don't intend to start
> doing it any time soon either, sorry. ;)

I recognize that. However, I bring it up because there are a number of
programmers who still fail to recognize the distinction. I hope that
we can get the rest (non-ports) of the build system into shape.

Any "solution" for the ports should be one that also works elsewhere.
As a result, I would hate to see yet another inadequate mechanism become
entrenched.

I don't think that "ports" ever stands a real chance in making it to cross
compilation because too many of the components rely on autoconf style
configuration.

This often trys to decide which representation to use by "trial and
error". It is virtually impossible for "you" to police all those ports
authors and have them maintain cross-compile compliance.