Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 1997 01:18:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Greg Skafte <skafte@worldgate.com>
To:        rewt@i-Plus.net (Troy Settle)
Cc:        tomthai@future.net, chris@absinthe.i3inc.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, linuxisp@friendly.jeffnet.org
Subject:   Re: system passwd to RADIUS

> From: Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
> >BTW: I hacked Ascend's RADIUS to treat the password entry listed in
> >RADIUS users file as a crypted passwd. I think all I had to to was run
> >what the RADIUS client sent to the server through crypt() then let it
> >compare with what RADIUS parsed from the user file. You could get
> >clever and evan modify it to use forms like
> >
> > Password = crypt."cx19azPss3v97"
> >
> >in addition to normal clear-text ones. I don't like cleartext
> >passwords, so I didn't bother. The code was for Ascend's RADIUS so
> >posting it here probably wouldn't help. Just look where it does the
> >compare with what the client (comm server) sent with what's in the
> >users file.
>
> I don't like cleartext passwords either, but have been forced to use them
> by the PPP protocol :(
> seems that MPP won't work without CHAP, and CHAP won't work with encrypted
> passwords.
>
> Anyone know a way around this?

	instead of CHAP can you use PAP with a _one_way_ passwd  ? ....

	For MPP connections (incoming anyway) PAP works fine with ascend
	radiusd ....

--
Email: skafte@worldgate.com	  Voice: +403 413 1910	  Fax: +403 421 4929
   #575 Sun Life Place * 10123 99 Street * Edmonton, AB * Canada * T5J 3H1
PGP 2.6.2 Key fingerprint =  42 9C 2C A8 4D 2B C9 C4  7D B6 00 B0 50 47 20 97
http://gras-varg.worldgate.com/~skafte/             http://www.worldgate.com/
When things can't get any worse, they simplify themselves by getting a whole
lot worse then complicated. A complete and utter disaster is the simplest
thing in the world; it's preventing one that's complex.       (Janet Morris)