Date:      Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:39:21 -0800
From:      "Jin Guojun [NCS]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: misc/60349: 5.2-RC1 cannot do NFS installation

Scott Long wrote:

> On further investigation, it's going to be rather difficult to make
> floppy 3 be mandatory.  The loader is set up so that loader.rc
> merely stages floppy 2 for the loader to load after it has loaded
> the kernel.  There is no way for loader.rc to stage two floppies at
> the same time.
>
> Sysinstall could be changed to either force the loading of hte floppy
> 3 modules, or intelligently detect when nfsclient.ko is needed and
> not present, and prompt the user to insert the floppy.  However, this
> then requires that sysinstall know what drivers are on floppy 3,
> something that adds to the maintenance burden.  It also presents quite
> a bit of risk at this late stage of the process.
>
> My suggestion is to document this in the release notes and/or errata.
> It appears that the problem can be avoided by manually loading
> nfsclient.ko off of floppy 3 when sysinstall starts.  Sysinstall appears
> to be equiped to assist with this, so it shouldn't be too hard to
> document.

I am not sure what is the difference between "prompt the user to insert the
floppy 3"
and "manually loading nfsclient.ko off of floppy 3". In either way, the
sysinstall needs
to know what things are on floppy 3.

Since installation is one time task, manually loading nfsclient.ko would not be
a bad solution. The NFS installation is very important for installing clusters.
As long as we can make it work, it is worth to take effort.

    -Jin