Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:05:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        girgen@partitur.se
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setting makevars to output from program, HOW?

 * From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>

 * I am trying to set make variables to output from programs (using
 * backticks). It seems that the values are not substituted, but instead
 * the whole backtick string is inserted. This gives me problem, since I
 * can't get PLIST_SUB to work if it isn't evalled first. bsd.port.mk
 * complains that it gets erroneous lines, and it seems they're not enough
 * quoted.

You need to use the "!=" construct for command substitutions in
make. :)

 * APXS_SBIN=      "`${DIR}/apxs -q SBINDIR`"

APXS_SBIN!=	   ${DIR}/apxs -q SBINBIR

 * PS. As you might see, I'd like to obtain info on where apache is
 * installed, so I can use this to install shared modules as separate
 * ports. Do you think this is a good idea? DS.

However, it is generally not a good idea to use a command outside of
the system since there are lots of stuff that don't check the
dependencies.  Just think "make index", etc.

-PW