Date:      Mon, 26 May 1997 00:04:00 -0700
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Correct way to chroot for shell account users?

Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> Anybody got any tips on how to write  a secure shell to exec on login to
> set a users environment to the "right thing".

I had to open some public accounts some time ago. While on SCO and AIX I
had the restricted shell (Rsh), but it wasn't very useful: I used it for
a suspected cracker and he also broke it :-).
My answer to the problem is to define an innocent program in /etc/shells
and use it instead of the shell.
You can build a custom lynx (with lot's of restrictions) or use gopher
as a shell. Code for a restricted shell, and some "secure" utilities
used to be in the gopher and W3C distribution sites, JIC someone was
brave enough to use them