Date:      2 Jun 2000 20:12:56 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions

Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net> wrote:

> Standard Internet e-mail is formatted with monospacing in mind
> and thus it would seem that it should adopt the typewrite
> convention.  Argueably, mdoc and SGML documents should not because
> they are intended to be typeset not read directly.

mdoc (troff in general?) seems to have the particular convention
that the end of a sentence should also be the end of an input line.
Some internal typesetting magic will then produce the correct
spacing.  For nroff on FreeBSD that is two spaces.  I wouldn't be
surprised if there was a knob equivalent to TeX's \frenchspacing
to change this.