Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:48:09 -0700
From:      Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suggestion: distfiles CD

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 04:29:43PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

> It's call the "FreeBSD Toolkit", and it's 6 CDROMs.

Waaaay overkill for what is being asked about. And besides, this only comes
out, what, twice a year? Less often than FreeBSD, at the least. Personally,
I subscribe to this, but have never used it so will be cancelling. The ports
distfiles were hard to locate anything on, there was no documentation on how
to access any of it's features, and most of it was very outdated before it was
even released. On top of that, 3.2 came out soon after this was released,
rendering it even more useless. All in all, this product got a definate 'f'
from me, and I don't recommend it to anyone.

> > another solution, or part of this solution, might be to offer a CD image
> > that could be downloaded and burnt. Given some of the more active user
> > groups in some areas this might be a great way to get CDs out to folks. It
> > could cost as little as $1.00 for CDs in that fashion. I don't know if
> > there are things in/on the distfiles CD(s) have copyright restrictions.
>
> Yeah.  Download all the distfiles, instead of just the ones you need.
> Marvellous. 8(

I agree, this doesn't suit the original suggestion at all. Not everyone has
CD burners, either.

Jamie