Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 09:26:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Linux emulation strange ...

Dear Sirs.

I posted within the last days a message about a strange, suddenly
revealed behaviour in Linux emulation. This is triggered by the
Lahey/Fujitsu Fortran 95 compiler and the VAST F90 compiler, which
has been used here successfuly prior to the last cvsupdate
FreeBSD has been updated before the critical date on 6th May and
has been done its tasks clear also for the LF95 compiler).

I checked today dmesg on two machines and got this, hope someone
of the gurus out here has a glue what's going on.

	linux: syscall setfsuid is obsoleted or not implemented (pid=46591)

As I said before: LF95 has been used here for a long time successfuly
and we compiled several projects without problems, but now there is
a problem with, I guess I/O. When compiling a simnple hello world like this:

	PROGRAM IOTEST

	OPEN (unit=10, file='io.out', status='new')
	WRITE (10,1) 'Hello World!'
	1 FORMAT (a)
	CLOSE (10)

	END PROGRAM IOTEST

and running i, it works well for the first call. It produces an file
io.out and you should delete it after the second run. But when calling the
same program after deleting io.out (which is trivial!) a second time, you get
this:

	An I/O error was detected (c library=getcwd, unit=10).

This happens within a chrooted Linux shell (preferably sh or bash but also
for tcsh and csh) and also within FreeBSD environment.

Lahey's compiler has been installed the following way:

Installation from the normal CD ROM. The cd'ing into its ./bin directory
and doing a 'brandelf -t Linux *' for all binaries (otherwise I get a lot
of mislinked libs when linker is running). For testing purposes we NFS-export
the /compat/linux/usr/local directory to other machines due the fact our scientist
group has two labs they are working in and it's the easiest way to export their
environment.

Has anyone a glue, a hint, or simply a tip?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)