Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2019 17:31:38 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: How _completely_ remove/deinstall databases/mysql57-server

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 09:45:52 -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> I have completely corrupted my mysql installation and doing a reinstall
> from ports does not fix it.... How do I completely remove
> database/mysql57-server from my machine (including _all_
> database/config/etc. files [these are what make deinstall _does not_
> remove])

I don't have access to a MySQL installation at the moment, but
if I remember correctly, you should check for user-supplied or
generated files which (as you pointed out correctly) will not
be subject to "make deinstall" or "pkg delete".

1. configuration in /usr/local/etc

2. log files in /var/log

3. your actual database files in /var/db (or a custom location
   if you set any - on Linux, it's often located in /var/lib)

Those files and directories need to be removed manually, which
is intended and typically the right thing to do. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany