Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:19:17 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Gary Godfrey <ezduzit@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: newbie questions

On Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 11:39:09PM -0700, Gary Godfrey wrote:
> I just loaded freebsd with these directories: bin, des, dict,
> doc,info,manpages, ports, xf86332.
>
> All i have right now is command line and i only know a few commands.
> ls,chmod,cd.
>
> If x11 is a GUI windows type program how do i load it?
> Is there an equivalent of DosHelp where a full list of command line commands
> are available.

There's not really a list, because there's too many commands. If you're
running the bash shell, when you type 'help' you get a list of many
commands provided by the shell (though 'man bash' is better). There's a
lot more commands than what a shell provides, though. Lots! (try these:
'ls /bin' 'ls /sbin' 'ls /usr/bin' 'ls /usr/sbin' 'ls
/usr/local/bin' 'ls /usr/local/sbin') You probably want to know about
the everyday commands you'll need, and a book or online unix tutorial
is best for that.

Take a look at the tutorial for people new to both FreeBSD and unix on
the FreeBSD web site. You'll find a link to it on
http://www.freebsd.org/newbies.html and you'll see other links from
there to various unix tutorials, X Window System info, and all the
FreeBSD documentation relevant for people at your stage.

BTW, FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org is the best place for newbie
questions (FreeBSD-newbies is for idle chatter, not help) so I've
redirected this email to -questions so that others can learn from your
question. You might find a few more tips for getting help in the
FreeBSD Newbies First Aid Kit (FAK) at
http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies/

If these two references aren't quite right for you, please write to me
or to freebsd-newbies and suggest how they could be improved.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-