Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:40:07 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        rainer@ultra-secure.de
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd-xen@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Storage 'failover' largely kills FreeBSD 10.x under XenServer?

--On 21 September 2017 14:04 +0200 rainer@ultra-secure.de wrote:

> I asked myself already if the disks from Xen(Server) are really CAM-disks.
>
> They certainly don't show up with camcontrol devlist.

So they don't. I presumed they were cam, as they're presented as 'ada0'.

> If they don't show-up there, why should any cam timeouts apply?

It appears they don't :) (at least, so far).

> BTW: storage-failures also kill various Linux hosts.
> They usually turn their filesystem into read-only mode and then you've
> got to reboot anyway.

Yes, I know - it's a bit of an upheaval to cope with storage fail over -
annoyingly the windows boxes (though they go 'comatose' while it's
happening) all seem to survive.

I could cope with a few VM's rebooting - but to see so many just fold and
panic, adds a lot of "insult to injury" at fail over time :(

[And I know, if I/O is unavailable you're going to be queuing up a whole
'world of pain' anyway for when it returns, such as listen queues, pending
disk I/O, hung processes waiting for I/O etc. etc.) - but to have a
fighting chance of unwinding it all when I/O recovers - would be good.

-Karl