Date:      Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:58:45 +0200
From:      Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: prebuild sanity checks

--------------enig1389F4DF9B1F8FF72AC13A5A

[...]
> Another option might be a new variable (or variables) that ports that
> tend to break spectacularly and unobviously can set like:
>
> BUILD_DEVS=	null zero

As a potential user of such a variable, I wonder how I'm supposed to
figure out which basic system facilities are required by a given piece
of software.

I think the right thing to do here would be to have the software react
more sensibly to such a problem, ie bail out with an error message. In
other words: have the people upstream change their software.

Btw: I ran into the same problem 2 or so years ago, when I had
accidentally overwritten /dev/null with a normal file; things started
failing in very interesting ways for no apparent reason.

Cheers
Benjamin