Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:07:14 +0200
From:      Pieter Westland <pieterw@euronet.nl>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3.x -> 4.0-STABLE upgrade instructions

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 09:07:05PM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
[snip]
> This message appeared 166 times during ``make buildworld'':
> 	/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.4" not found
> It also caused config(8) on the new kernel to fail, but
> 	ldconfig -R /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc
> cured that.

Hi there,

A few hours ago I moved my machine from 3.4-STABLE to 4.0 . I also got
that errormessages about libc.so.4 during make buildworld. A ldconfig, as
mentioned by Mark, solved the problem. Will this command be included in
the make buildworld-process?

The rest of the upgrade went almost fine. I got into trouble when trying to
do a 'make -j4 installworld', but that was because staring at the console had
tired me... It caused the machine to be unable to find some files.

The other problem is that X does not want to let me log in; getting the
following message in the log when trying to log in (starting xdm works,
but after entering login en password it displays a 'Incorrect
password'-message and logs):

Mar 28 09:07:50 dustpuppy -:0: unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/pam_unix.so)
Mar 28 09:07:50 dustpuppy -:0: [dlerror: /usr/lib/libutil.so.3: Undefined
symbol "freeaddrinfo"]
Mar 28 09:07:50 dustpuppy -:0: adding faulty module: /usr/lib/pam_unix.so

At this moment I'm recompiling XFree86 (3.3.6), I hope the problem will be
solved after this.

Pieter
--
Finagle's Creed:
	Science is true.  Don't be misled by facts.