Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:14:08 +0100
From:      Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
To:        David Newman <dnewman@networktest.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: accessing BIOS and RAID info on old Compaqs

> 2. Is there a way to monitor the Compaq Smart Array RAID controllers and
> disks attached to them from within FBSD?

Hi David,

I don't know of any online-monitoring, i.e. a utility that monitors
the smartarray controllers/disks on an ongoing basis.

However I know for sure that any smartarray-related messages (e.g. you
pull one of the disks configured in a RAID1 or have a drive failure)
end up in your syslog. From there you can periodically run grep over
the syslog, send mail-messages etc. to notify you of any smartarray
event.

HTH
-ewald