Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:56:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell WLAN 1450 laptop wireless card driver needed

     Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu> wrote Fri Dec 24 16:25:40 2004:

>--On Friday, December 24, 2004 1:54 PM -0600 Scott Bennett
><bennett@cs.niu.edu> wrote:
>
>>      I'm looking for a driver that supports the Dell Wireless WLAN 1450
>> Dual- Band card for laptops.  If anyone can point me in the right
>> direction, please let me know.
>
>It's probably the wi driver, which should be in the default build of
>"modern" FreeBSD.

     I don't think so, or at least it isn't obvious that that would be the
right one.

>Look at man wi(4) and man wicontrol(8).

     I did.  The only Dell card listed is the Dell TrueMobile 1150, which
I think is a fairly old card that Dell no longer sells.  Dell's recent
catalogues list only the Intel PRO Wireless 2100 and 2200, the Dell Wireless
1350 and 1450, and the Dell TrueMobile 300 Bluetooth.  The Dell Wireless 1450,
which is the card I'm trying to get to work, is made by Broadcom, and I think
Broadcom makes the chips on it as well.  The wi driver is for a different
manufacturer's chip set, so my guess is that the wi driver is not applicable
to the Dell Wireless 1450.

>What do you see when you type "% wicontrol -i wi0 -o"?

	wicontrol: SIOCGWAVELAN: Device not configured

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG