Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 02:46:35 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Statically-linked Motif binaries suck

On Tue, 9 May 1995, Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?= wrote:

> I think so too.  I even converted a program I wrote (kp, joining the
> ports collection soon) from Motif to Tcl/Tk. :)

    Feel like converting over other people's programs?  :)

> By the way, I think we should think of a way of integrating this to
> the current ports framework, we can't let Brian do all the work.

    Well, lemme figure out how to *make* a proper port first, then you
can go and change it all on me.  :)

> What do people think?  These are off the top of my head, please feel
> free to comment.  We'll need to decide what to do with these real soon
> though (i.e., before 2.0.5 -- we can put these on the CD, right?).

    My impression is that a lot of the really nice "productivity"
applications (databases, rolodexes, day planners/calendars, text
editors) are built with Motif.  Definitely Joe Home User will find
useful.  Hackers will probably prefer stuff like mgdiff or ddd.  :)
With the size of the static binaries, we are going to *need* a CD-ROM
to distribute the stuff.  :-/
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org