Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:06:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Scott Smyth <smyth@bashful.realminfo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   memory allocation above "physical" memory

If the kernel is hacked to only know about 64 MB, is there
functionality already in the BSD kernel so allocate the memory
that may lie above what the kernel "knows" about.  For instance,
in linux, vremap builds new page tables and returns a virtual
address you can use.  So, I am looking for a function that
retrieves memory the kernel does not know about necessarily and
maps it to virtual addresses (whether or not it is contigous in
physical memory -- it may be).

The example: physical memory the kernel knows: 64 MB, but the
real memory banks hold 96 MB.  How can I access the top 32 MB?
Does functionality exist for:
1) getting page tables;
2) mapping page tables to virtual addresses.

Thanks,
Scott

--
Scott Smyth, Senior Developer R&D