Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:10:54 +0900
From:      Nathan Butcher <n-butcher@fusiongol.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Encrypted zfs?

CW> I'm currently using a zraid consisting of three drives. Lately I
CW> wonder what the best way would be to encrypt it.
CW> I read the chapter dealing with disk encryption in the handbook, and
CW> decided to use GELI. Is there anyone here on the list who has some
CW> experiences with ZFS on encrypted GELI devices? Are there some
CW> performance specs around?

At the moment, I have created a zvol on top of ZFS and then turned it
into a GELI device. Then I have run newfs on that GELI device and
mounted it as a volume.

It's less than an ideal way of having encryption on ZFS (you get some of
the benefits of ZFS, but the filesystem on top of GELI is still UFS),
but it works anyway.

On my 2.13Ghz Core2 Duo with 2GB of RAM under amd64-current, my system
load doesn't break much of a sweat, reading to and from the GELI volume
- and speeds are tolerable. Since I have the Promise card issue, I can
only give bechmarks dated from the 200706 snapshot, and I'm sure zfs
performance has improved since then.