Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 07:08:52 -0700
From:      Robert Franklin <rff01@ibm.net>
To:        support@cdrom.com
Subject:   FreeBsd Printer Problem

Hi,
    I bought FreeBsd 2.2.6 from you folks and am having a bit of trouble
getting the printer to work.
The basic hardware is ok as it works under both W95 and os/2 warp 4.  I've
read the online handbook and the setup goes fine, it even makes sense (more
below), but I get no little squiggles on the page.

    The hardware is a generic pentium mboard, 233 mhz, 64 megs, BIG disks,
2 ser, 1 parallel, this hooked to an HP laserjet IIIP.  So, lp daemon
starts up, ps aux | lpr (through your suggested little laserjet filter)
produces job control and output queue files which I can see and read, the
printer starts whrring, and a blank page comes out.  The output file in the
queue looks ok, all the right characters are there, there don't seem to be
any permission problems and clearly the system knows the printer is there
and can reach it 'cause this blank page comes out.....

	Second clue: on boot, I get the messsage: "lpt1 not probed due to address
conflict with lpt0" and the address range is shown (which is the same as
the one shown for lpt0).  So, I think, an interrupt conflict (why the
kernel is configured for a second lp port, I haven't a clue because there
is not hardware for it), and I use lptcontrol to switch to polled mode.  No
luck.  So, I try to access lpt1 by: date | /dev/lpt1.  The message is "Port
not configured.".  Date | /dev/lpt0 produces nothing.

	Am I getting nothing because of the conflict?  Do I nuke lpt1?  If so, how
do I do that?

Sincerely yours in unix frustration,
bob

Optional Comment:  Printcap is basically a good idea, it is consistent with
the way terminals are handled..... And, I sure would like to see a basic
set of printer definitions bundled with the ditribution (maybe there is one
and I misssed it, the distribution is large).  Thankfully, by the time I
started using unix there were lots of termcap entries around to look at,
the same for printcap would probably be really helpful.