Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 16:58:44 +0800 (GMT)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@public.bta.net.cn>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Corrupted hard disk recovery question

I have a Tecra 510CDT running 2.2.6 RELEASE.  I used the apm to suspend the
computer, and when I resumed it a few days later, the battery was almost dead.
I got a low-power alarm as soon as the computer came up, so I immediately typed
"halt" into a root window, but as soon as I hit the return key, the power died
completely.

This seems to have caused corruption of the disk (a "TOSHIBA MK2101MAN",
according to the boot message).  The symptoms are as follows:

  1. The machine boots normally.
  2. The disk works completely normally, except for:
  3. Any I/O request to a particular block (somewhere around #604800 of
     my FreeBSD partition, according to "bad144 -s -v /dev/wd0c") causes
     the following error (which is printed only once):

     wd0: interrupt timeout:
     wd0: status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 0
     wd0: interrupt timeout:
     wd0: status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 1<no_dam>

     after which, the console locks completely, and the kernel goes into a
     loop that causes the disks to make a constant "click click click click
     bzzzt" seeking pattern (the number of clicks varies between one and ten).
  4. I can mount the affected slice (/usr) with "mount -f -r /usr", and that
     works normally as long as I don't cause I/O to the bad part.
  5. fsck fails with the problem in #3, for obvious reasons.

Any suggestions for recovery/repair?

    -Michael Robinson