Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 1995 10:02:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage)
Cc:        hasty@netcom.com, ports@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Two things: Sound, playmidi

Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage wrote:

> >>    The other issue has to do with ports.  I remember hearing Jordan saying
> >>something about FreeBSD not having a midi player.  Well, I took to the task of
> >>getting linux's playmidi working today, expecting a nightmare, and it was no
>
> >Well, playmidi is okay... I think that adagio sounds better but heck if
> >you like it cool :)
>
> If you don't yet notice, playmidi is already ported.

	Found that out yesterday.

> I don't think so, adagio needs many fixes especially for
> timing problem (it calculates times by itself in wrong way).

	I've noticed this.  On *certain* midi files, playmidi sounds better,
because it's timing seems a bit more robust.  For instance, I have a midi file
called "dethstar.mid" which I added some extra voices to, and playmidi plays it
great, but when I play it with adagio, the trumpet voices sound a bit warbled.

> Yes, you can compile and run it with only few simple changes, but output
> will be very strange for some midis.

	See above.

> Playmidi uses more advanced driver abilities.

	Maybe we need to combine the capabilities of both.  Adagio seems much
better as far as handling reverb properly etc.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead  -> Virginia Tech Center for Transportation Research -
                 -> Multiple Platform System and Network Administration