Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:04:55 +0100
From:      Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sil 3114 RAID controller issues with FreeBSD 5.3 Release AMD-64

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your answer!

> I don't think FreeBSD supports the SiI 3114 as a RAID controller, but
> only as a normal controller.  All the RAID stuff for that controller is
> done in software anyway, but FreeBSD needs to know what format the BIOS
> uses for a RAID setup, and it doesn't.

Indeed that is what I also fear, hence my reluctance at having to spend
much time trying to figure out a way to enable this controller for RAID
purposes, whereas it is an -IMO- bad choice anyway to use this for their
RAID strategy. :(((

> I guess you could set up a pure software RAID-1 solution using vinum,
> but not having done that myself I can't say for sure. See
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-vinum.html
> for information on how to use and setup vinum.

Yes, that would probably be another option. Again it would have the same
downside though: I've never done this before, so I'll have to spend time
getting that going. In this case, time IS money, so that's why I'm
trying to convince my client to better spend that money (and my time) on
simply buying a supported hardware RAID controller, which really is a
win-win situation for both my client and myself. However, somehow I've
not yet been able to drive that argument home, so who knows...:/

Oh well, enough of this rant - surely someday they'll see the light.
Until then, I'll just continue to scream in the desert. ;)

Cheerz!
Olafo