Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:19:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Oles Hnatkevych <gnut@cki.ipri.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hard disk fails

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Oles Hnatkevych wrote:

>    I need an urgent advice. We got a PC with two SCSI hard
> disks, second one beeing mounted as /var. For about two days
> we see an error on a screen that tells us smth. like that:
>
> sd1(ahc0:2:0): MEDIUM ERROR info?:323c58 asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error
> , retries:2
>
>   I understand that our hard disk fails to read data....
>
>    Well, the question is how to cope with it? For DOS one uses
> Norton Disk Doctor or a Scandisk to scan bad sectors and mark bad clusters
>
>    I man'ned fsck, newfs, bad144, badsect but did not get a clue how
> to manage it... And english is not my native language...

Completely reboot your system. The Adaptec SCSI controller will give you
a chance to enter its configuration menu and/or its SCSI disk utilities
by pressing Ctrl-A. The utilities allow you to scan your disk and to remap
the bad sector(s) to good ones. One nice feature of SCSI disks is
that they are able to hide bad sectors. UNIX systems are not strong in
working with uncomfortable disks ...

K. Heuer, GWDG, Goettingen, Germany
(kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de)