Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:47:42 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Kedar <kedar@asacomputers.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yet another Adaptec 2940UW problem :(

At 12:58 PM 4/22/97 -0700, Kedar wrote:
>>Finally (I know I'm full of questions this morning), why are there so many
>>problems with the Adaptec 29XX series of adapters and motherboard chips on
>>all platforms (not just FreeBSD)?
>
>        I'm not sure that this has been covered, so please forgive me if it
>has.  Adaptec apparently has 2 models out:
>        Model: AHA-2940AU
>        BIOS Version: 1.21
>        Max Disk Read Bytes Second: 4MB.
>
>        Model: AHA-2940 Ultra/Ultra Wide
>        BIOS Version 1.23
>        Max Disk Read Bytes Second: 8MB.
>
>        We have had a *lot* of difficulty with the former.  If the chip says
>2940AU, it would be wise to stay away for the moment.  This info is from
>about a month back.  Things might have changed.

I found that enabling the "Plug and Play SCAM support" in the card's BIOS
(even if your devices dont necessarily support it), helps a lot for that
model...

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *