Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 12:06:02 +0000
From:      Tom Brown <tomb@netlink.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   making a 2.2.5 kernel fails with unknown symbols in ioconf.o

Hi,

I have an old webserver running FreeBSD 2.2.5, I need to upgrade it to
2.2.7.  Because it's an importaint machine I have a spare box which I am

trying to use to test the upgrade.

When I start the apache server it complains about not having enough
spare files handles.  So I have been trying to up the number by
recompiling the kernel. I put the maxusers upto 256 and compile.

make depend happens no problem.

then when trying to make it stops with the following error.

ioconf.o: Undefined symbol `_csdriver' referenced from data segment
ioconf.o: Undefined symbol `_csintr' referenced from data segment
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Now I have tried CVSup to make sure I have the correct code, and I have
looked at /etc/make.conf to make sure that the level of optimisation is
-0.

Could anyone advise me how to go about finding out what is wrong!!

Thanks in advance,

Tom Brown