Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:54:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, tony@dell.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inode / exec_map interlock ?

Matthew Dillon said:
> :>
> :>     ( Matt sticks out his tongue and makes a face )
> :>
> :There are issues and problems with exec_map and the issue needs to be revisited.
> :However, you are not exposing the modified VM code for review, so it isn't easy to
> :2nd guess what you are doing.
>
>     All major changes have been CC'd to you and DG.  But the best answer I
>     get is on the order of ( paraphrased ) "I might be able to look at it
>     in a few days, or maybe never".

Please refer to my comments on suggested design requirements (specifically
those on 10 Jan 99).  If you violated those suggestions, maybe it is important
to require formal review.  Regressions aren't what FreeBSD needs.  I happen
to think in terms of higher level design issues (coding, programming and
indenting are superficial to me).  Does this mean that I have to start resolving
design concepts to code?  Geesh, I am very busy, and writing code to correct
mistakes is really not fair to me.

Maybe you should take on the attitude of encompassing more developers into
your fold, and then *wait* until testing and information is returned before
committing.  Then, if there are comments that are contrary to your creation,
DISCUSS that with the *experts* rather than ignoring something that you don't
want to hear.

It seems that a mature developer would wait until a process can complete.  You
have innundated people with code, and review is more complex than just looking
at syntax issues.  If you are indeed such a fast programmer, and since important
ideas are being overlooked, maybe more time should be spent understanding what
is going on.

* The term *experts* isn't due to arrogance, but due to 4-5years of experience
and mistakes.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid