Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 07:52:07 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, grog@FreeBSD.ORG, hitmaster2k@yahoo.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD

At 07:36 AM 12/13/2001, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>I've been working on FreeBSD since the very beginning, yet I have
>a hard time judging your claim above as either true or false.

Why? It is objectively true that FreeBSD, when installed using
the usual installer (sysinstall), depends upon GPLed software.
The installation process ITSELF depends upon GPLed software and
will not work without it.

>Your statement is comparable to the tabloid headline:
>
>        "NASA cause of DEATH by launching SHUTTLE!"

Not so. I did add caps for emphasis, but the statement is
objectively true.

>If you can't communicate any other way then please go away.  I'm
>sure OpenBSD with their more strict attitude to GPL will find your
>"uncompromising" zealotism welcome.

Actually, OpenBSD is dependent upon GPLed code as well, though
less so.

As for what you call "uncompromising zealotism," it is exhibited not
by me but by the FSF and RMS. They are, alas, the Taliban of the
software world. Were I uncompromising, I would not be using FreeBSD
now due to GPL contamination.

--Brett