Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 13:14:25 +0700
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@norilsk.ru>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Errors, routes, and dial up ip!!!

Hello!

	I am using FreeBSD 2.1.0
I have recently set up dynamic dial-up ip using pppd (kernel ppp)
(before that we used pppd, but the address were UNREAL and
invisible to the internet, but recently we received a brand new C class
network :)

The setup looks like this:

#
# Empty
#
# lcp-echo-failure 20
crtscts
domain norilsk.ru
modem
#proxyarp
defaultroute
debug
-detach

options.ttydX:

#
# Empty
#
# lcp-echo-failure 20

193.124.250.50:194.135.38.2

As you can see i commented proxyarp in options. I did it because i have
been receiving the following
error on every connection : Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy
ARP. Which is logical and,
besides, everything works without it. Instead i added defaultroute, but it
did not change much.. I
don't even understand what it did :)

After the above setup the thing went crazy!

1) Now i have to way from 3 to 5 minutes before i actually can do anything
(when i dial from
    windows95 system). It seems like the route is being added for quite a
long time. But is it
    so long ? After that waiting period everything works just fine, but the
first 3-5 minutes
    Expoloree and Mail do tiimeouts. The other thing is that if i
disconnect and rconnect immidiately
     everything works fine, but if i reconnect after, let's say, 5
minutes.. that's it.. i have to wait again.
    Is it a routing problem ? Is there a solution ? What is the reason ?

2) Popper went crazy too, Now it started to give me "Unable to get
canonical name of client, err=0"
    error. Why ? How to solve it ?

Please, help me, my clients are ready to kill me!

Artem Koutchine
matrix@norilsk.ru