Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 19:03:19 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

> You're removed some *useful* functionality from the obj system that both
> Bruce and I both pointed out, and your arguements haven't even begun to
> address the *real* issue.  Instead, you've hid behind the smoke-screen
> of 'this is how it was *supposed* to work'.  I disagree.  The folks at

Well, hang on now.  Just because I don't agree with you or Bruce
doesn't mean I'm hiding behind any smoke screens - I still have yet to
hear a *substantive* argument as to WHY the old behavior should be
preserved.  What I get instead is "well, if you really *wanted* to
stand on your head and wiggle your left foot while whistling ``I can't
get no satisfaction'' then you wouldn't be able to now and this is
bad."

Sorry, I just don't see it as at all useful, with or without
asterisks, and to be honest I'm feeling a little annoyed that neither
of you lifted a finger to address the problems with the old system but
have no compunctions about tying me up in exchange after exchange
concerning the new one.  I suffered all manner of problems with the
old system, complained about it bitterly for *years* and I never heard
a single squeak from anyone about how they'd undertake to fix it.
Fine, I figure nobody gives a god-damn and take it upon myself to fix
it and now suddenly everyone's crawling out of the woodwork with their
favorite wacky disaster scenarios.. :-(

If someone can convince me that I've broken something *without* using
obviously contrived examples (of which we could spin thousands and be
locked in discussion until the sun goes dark) then I'm more than
amenable to making further changes.

					Jordan