Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 09:36:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installation fails

As Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> As far as I can see, they are not satisfactory for a more basic reason:
> 1) The install floppy does not seem to react to the -a or -r flags.

It doesn't react to -a (it's not ``generic'').  It should react to -r,
but that's certainly of no use for you, since the preconfigured root
device is wd0.

> 2) This `configure' activity you refer to sounds suspiciously like
>    compiling a kernel. I don't know how to do this.

Read the handbook.  It's also available on the Web.

>    [A feeble attempt using the fixit floppy and
> 	mount /dev/sd1a /mnt;  mount /mnt/dev/sd1f /mnt/usr
> 	PATH=/mnt/bin:/mnt/sbin:/mnt/usr/bin:$PATH
> 	cd sys
> 	make
>     fails on "make: no ld.so", and at first sight I couldn't find ld.so
>     either. Every other program not on the floppy fails in the same way.]

You can "chroot /mnt" from the fixit floppy.  If there's no chroot
binary, execute it as /mnt/usr/sbin/chroot.  (This assumes you've got
your partitions mounted below /mnt on the fixit floppy, in exact the
same manner as it would be mounted standalone.)

You wrote that you've got experience with Unix, so i assumed things
like this are obvious for you, sorry.

>         sd0s2a        partition `a' (presumably bootable) of second
>                 slice on third SCSI disk, slice has a BSD label
>
> You don't mean first SCSI disk?

sd0 is the first SCSI disk, yes.  Confusion of mine.

>         ...     have a BSD label (i.e., can be a MS-Dog slice)
>
> I never understood why people cannot be sufficiently open-minded
> to spell the names of their opponents correctly. Maybe this is a GNUism?

It's not an opponent, but a common pun. ;-)  I could have written
``MS-Doof'' (a very common pun here), but i'm afraid you wouldn't have
got it...

--
cheers, J"org