Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 15:36:09 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        MaryAnn Greco <maryanngreco@worldnet.att.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do I Have a Need

>I am on ATTWorldnet, with Yahoo! and Netscape and Microsoft95, is there
>a need or advantage for me to have FreeBSD.
>
>I use a 200MH and 64ram home computer for business, pleasure, and
>creative arts.

This is best addressed on the website. Allow me to give you my $.02.

What kind of car would you rather drive for business, a volkswagen or
mercedes? What kind of car would you rather drive for pleasure, a
volkswagen or a mercedes?

If you answered mercedes, then FreeBSD may be for you. Beware! You cannot
get a mercedes without making a large investment. FreeBSD requires that you
learn alot about UNIX in a short period of time.

The nice thing about the mercedes is that it doesn't break. FreeBSD will be
running long after your winbox crashes and crashes and crashes again.

The nice thing about a volkswagen is that it doesn't require a large
investment to get started. If you can't do without the familiarity of
win95, then FreeBSD may not be for you. The bad thing about win95 is its
propensity for stalling on the "information superhighway". (I had to do it.
Sorry)

If hammering away on a keyboard and reading volumes of technical documents
is anti-enjoyable to you, FreeBSD is probably not for you.

The issues that you must address are personal in nature. The technical
issues are that FreeBSD is:

	more stable
	costs less money
	has great technical support via this list
	is multi-user
	has better multitasking
	is more secure.

Hope this helps you decide.

Later,
Jason Wells
 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\         Thank you * Highperformance.net
     )     Wannabe Sysadmin * The homeless domain
)-------(       Jason Wells * "Pardon me sir, spare some bandwidth?"
 \_____/