Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2012 19:16:04 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        Mike Jeays <mike.jeays@rogers.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: static ip address and ifconfig

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 13:05:30 -0500, Fbsd8 wrote:
> Mike Jeays wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 12:13:32 -0500
> > Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't have static ip address so I can not find out for myself.
> >> Lets say I am a company that my ISP has assigned us
> >> 25 static ip address.
> >>
> >> When I issue the ifconfig command what will it show me?
> >>
> >> Just the single primary static ip address or all 25 of them in a list?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > It will just show the one currently assigned.
> >
> > Try it - just bring up an xterm and type 'ifconfig' You don't have to
> > be root, and you can't do any harm.
> >

> > em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> > 	options=9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM>
> > 	ether 08:00:27:40:ca:a9
> > 	inet 10.0.2.15 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.2.255  # HERE IT IS
> > 	media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
> > 	status: active
> >

> Nope 10.0.2.15 is a private lan IP address, its not public routable.
> question has to be answered by some body who has multiple static public
> routable ip address assigned by their ISP.

The presented example simply shows a typical ifconfig output.
On the "inet" line, you can see the assigned IP addresses.
As per definition, one interface can be assigned more than
one IP address, and maybe those will show in the ifconfig
output - however, this depends on your actual setup, for
example when you have specific network gear that "translates"
one or more static IP addresses into local addresses that
are _then_ assigned to individual network interfaces.

However, at my old location I had assigned one static IP
address directly delivered to the NIC, and ifconfig did
show exactly that address.

Simply try "ifconfig" and show what it prints for YOU.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany