Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 10:32:41 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
To:        Tim Oneil <toneil@visigenic.com>
Cc:        Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed net card question

On Tue, 13 May 1997, Tim Oneil wrote:

> >> my exsisting 2.2.1 system wants to recognize as ed0. It
> >NE2000 compatable (good)
> Yeah, its an NE2000 compatible.

> >> times out though after the system comes up, I suppose becuase

i'm not quite sure what you mean by "timing out".  i'm no expert, but the
only way i can imagine anything timimg out is to have so many busy IRQs
below the ethernet card that it can do anything in sufficient time.
i guess at IRQ15, that might be possible!  hehe!  in general, you don't
want any drives below any communication devices, or anything that hogs big
chunks of time.

> >you may need it to program the flash ...
> Yep. The auto config in the installation program suggested IRQ 15
> which I thought was a little strange, but I selected it.
> >BAD setting - will conflict with COM2 (oh, it's jumperable?)
> Software config only, no jumpers.
> >the pc has no UARTs on board?
> Its an AMD bios 486 board. I have a serial card on it for serial
> stuff.

i guess that means no?

> >> and it still timed out. I was wondering if there was an ideal
> >> irq to use on the fresh 2.2.1 system? Does the dos config ware
> >yeah, 5 or 7 - as long as you don't use your printer on one of those.
> I don't, so I guess I'll try those.
> >you should read more about this stuff.  you will need to set up
> >ARP, PPP, etc, etc.

check out some of the Linux manuals ...
you may like Network Administrators Guide (NAG)

 Sleep: a sign a caffeine deprivation ... http://www.anchorage.net/~un_x