Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:52:00 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

> Now that we've made the transition to ELF, adding an XPM formatted pixmap
> to a program is simply a matter of:
>
> objcopy --add-section=.icon=file.xpm file

Nice idea, and making it a standard part of the bsd.prog.mk
infrastructure is a good idea, but a couple of suggestions:

 - Add a NO_ICONS option so that icons are ignored by the build (if you
   haven't already).

 - Work out a mechanism for supporting more than one icon per
   executable.  At the very least, you want to have several different
   sizes, and many people will want to either add their own icons to an
   application or chose amongst them.  This obviously then requires you
   to add an "active" flag to each of the "active" icons at each size.